Monday, May 3, 2010

Home cooking!

I'm still cooking.... every single day in fact, I just haven't been updating as much.. and this summer I'm afraid there's going to be less updates for this housewife, considering my house is being taken away.  But as of now I've made a few things lately that I'm pretty proud of!

1.  Jerk Chicken and Fruit Salsa Sub!  This is my very favorite sandwich.  They serve it at the Owl here and Lee and I love it so I decided to try to make my own version and it came out very successful if I do say so myself :)
To make the salsa I cut up
tomato, red bell pepper, watermelon, and cantaloupe -put it in a jar with some vinegar and honey and shook it up really good and let it sit in the fridge for a few hours.
For the chicken I just used a packet of jerk seasoning I got at the grocery store and mixed it with some soy sauce, lime, and oil. 


2.  Pumpkin soup and cream cheese sandwiches - pumpkin soup is a new addition to my cooking rotation, appearing about once a month... replacing tomato soup, which I like and Lee doesn't so much.  Some days I just really feel like soup and a sandwich!  When I made the soup I had planned on just having grilled cheese, but then I felt like something different so I googled sandwiches made with cream cheese and found one that "Kids Love!" haha sound like Lee and I so I made it & we did love it!  It's cream cheese with cucumber, carrot, and apple cut up in it & you could add nuts but we didn't have any.
ps. note my little cactus display and my magazine basket I made :)

3.  Texas Road House night!
Ok so the only thing that resembled Texas Roadhouse this night was the steak and cinnamon butter...  but it was still good, and you gotta make do with what you have!  We had, steak, potatoes, corn, and cornbread.  I forgot to buy rolls at the store so we ended up having cornbread that I made on the stove top... it turned out delicious, just a little stuck to the pan... and the cinnamon butter was soooooo good. I think I want some right now...
I just melted some butter with a little honey and stirred in cinnamon & put it back in the fridge to get a little harder again.
For the steak I actually marinated it in Italian dressing and soy sauce... some recipe I found online & it was great! not quite as great as Roadhouse, but close. 
and for some reason the photo is rotated the wrong way... how do I fix this?? anyway, you get the gist.

So...now I'm off to find something interesting to make for dinner tomorrow night!

2 comments:

  1. they all look yummy!! you should check out this blog... http://www.melskitchencafe.com/

    they have some really yummy stuff that I've made that turned out great, I'm pretty much obsessed with this blog. I know you don't have an oven... yet, but the bread recipes are amazing. The broccoli cheese soup is really good and so is the red chili chicken recipe with rice and black beans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe some of the stuff you eat now, its amazing really. You are quite the little housewife!

    ReplyDelete