Thursday, January 28, 2010

Don't throw away the toilet paper rolls!!!!


 

Would you believe that I made this out of 2 old toilet paper rolls?? I did! I just googled ways to re-use tp rolls (b/c I'm pretty much reusing everything we have.... and we have lots of toilet paper). I saw a picture of flowers, made of out toilet paper or paper towel rolls, so I decided to try for myself.
You just cut it into little circles and glue them together how ever you want, after I put the glue on I put paper clips on to hold it together.  I squeezed some of them to make it look a little more like leaves and left some rounded to look like a flower.
I put it on my closet door.... and I just really really love it and the way the shadows come off of it. It's so whimsical.  Even Lee loves it... he keeps making comments about it. maybe just because he know I like it and am proud of it... but either way he likes it.
I'm going to try to think up a way to make one for his closet... that's not flowers. maybe just like swirls...

and here's a look into our dinner the other night.
Chick-Fil-A style chicken nuggets, homemade french fries and onion rings.
unhealthy, maybe... but tastes sooooo good.  I like to make things like restaurants b/c we will hardly ever go out to eat here...

To make the chicken you cut it up into nugget sized pieces or strips or whatever you want and soak it in heavy cream and egg for about a half hour. I just used the boxed milk that we get b/c it is a little sweeter and thicker than regular milk.... or you can use regular milk, I have before. but the very very (and probably most fattening) time was when I used the cream.
and I've found that if the chicken is still a little frozen then it cuts into chunks really nicely and doesn't feel as gross to touch.
so then you mix the batter, which is flour, powdered sugar, salt, and pepper.   I don't measure really, but I use more flour than the sugar... it just depends on how sweet you want it to taste. Lee loves it sweet.
and I double dip... from the wet mix, into the dry, back to the wet, back to the dry, and then into the pan. at home I would deep fry it, but we don't have that luxury here, just one small frying pan.
I even used my pot to cook the french fries... didn't go over so well, they stuck to the bottom a lot, so they were kinda chopped up, but still tasted really really good. Lee said they tasted exactly like Swiss Chalet, for those of you Canadians who know that restaurant.
a tip about homemade french fries that I learned on the food network once, is to let them soak in ice water after you cut them up, it makes them crispier! 
and at last minute I decided to make onion rings using the same recipe as the chicken (separate bowls of course) and the were the BEST onion rings ever...

 


No comments:

Post a Comment