Last week a friend and I went downtown and ended up at the smoothie shop, I have yet to go to St. George's without a stop there... it's so hot outside and smoothies are so refreshing!! but they also serve different soups for lunch (not quite as refreshing in the heat..) it was only 10:30 but my friend Chris is almost 9 months pregnant so it was lunch time, we asked if we could have a taste of the pumpkin soup because I had heard it was good... and it was!
A couple days later I was in the grocery store and they had several chunks of pumpkin in the produce section, and it was really cheap! so I asked the lady who was putting the produce out how to make pumpkin soup.. and she replied in very Grenadian fashion with something like "just cut it up, boil it and add spices"
ok... so that's what I did! and then improvised... I added onions for flavor and after it had cooked for a while and was looking pretty thin I decided to add a little cream cheese and milk to thicken it and make it a little richer, and it was delicious! Lee liked it and he was very skeptical about the pumpkin soup...
I got enough pumpkin to make a pot of soup for $4EC! that's like $1.50!
I found a website with several different recipes and I want to try a couple of them whenever the store gets more pumpkin in! http://www.mom-mom.com/pumpkin_soup_recipes.htm
Hopefully pumpkin soup will become an autumn staple in our family.... or at least around the holidays!
I took a picture... but it doesn't do it justice, it just looks like baby food :)
Wooow! Listen, pumpkin soup is one of my favorites! I had it the first time in Spain and was in LOVE! That little shindig you did there with cream cheese sounds really really good too! I wanna do this, but I don't know where to find a pumpkin at this point. Maybe I can use pumpkin pie puree that hasn't been spiced yet!
ReplyDelete