Sunday, February 14, 2010

Plantain chips!

today I perfected plantain chips!
this was the 3rd time I have made plantain, and the 2nd attempt at 'chips'
for some ridiculous reason, the first time I made them I started cutting the plantain by slicing it down the middle.... length wise. as soon as I did it I was like, why did you do that! so we had long strips of plantain that day... with brown sugar. they were really sweet and so good!!
Lee suggested I make chips (apparently they sell them in the vending machine where he worked) so the next day I attempted to do so but turns out Lee prefers his chips really crispy, and I like mine crisp, but with a little softness in the middle. so he wasn't quite satisfied.
alas today I decided to try again, we were having shredded chicken sandwiches for lunch after church... and in honor of valentines day, I thought to myself, I should cut the chips into little hearts! i cut a little v into the whole plantain at once and then sliced the chips... but they did NOT look like hearts.
I cut them soooooooo thin and they turned out delicious! I took mine out of the pan a little sooner than Lee's so his would be cripier.
and he LOVED them! 
he kept talking about how good they were, examining them closely, commenting about how I could sell them because they were better than the ones from the vending machines........ and he never noticed that they were supposed to be cut into hearts. HA!
I was waiting for him to say, why do these look like pac mans?? or what happend to them? lol.. but nothing. He just gobbled them down and I never mentioned it.

My chicken sandwiches (which my mom is famous for making) turned out the best they ever have!!! I made  them last night and let them sit in the fridge overnight & they soaked up all the good flavor.
and. I'm pretty proud of this idea... they got a little dry last night & I didn't have any chick broth or stock, or bullion cubes.... so I opened a can of chicken noodle soup & used the broth off of it! perhaps that's something most people would have done.... but I thought it was pretty smart of me :)

it looks a little gross here..... but is soooooooo good! 
a Cooper family favorite :)

Tomorrow Lee has his first tests of medical school!!! He's been studying like a fiend.  So we didn't celebrate Valentine's Day today..... well not really. we had really good lunch and dinner though, if I do say so myself... dinner was penne and alfredo with chicken, onions, and bell peppers and garlic bread, our favorite meal by far.
but tomorrow we're going OUT! :) and to the beach! together!

1 comment:

  1. Looks good, Kels! In Puerto Rico they call the fried plantain chips, tostones and we have a tostones "maker". Its a little wooden thing that smashes the plantain slices, maybe look for one at the markets, I'm sure they have something similar.

    I need to learn how to make the chicken sandwiches! Mine have never turned out good and the girls still ask for "Aunt Kelsey's" sandwiches from time to time. :)

    ReplyDelete