Friday, March 5, 2010

Bake sale minus the bake...

Today we had a bake sale for the Limes After School Program.  We need money to pay the rent for the building we use and supplies for the kid.
since I don't have an oven I made rice crispy treats... I had to do it in about 4 different batches because I only have one pan (which I bought yesterday specifically for this, because I realized I didn't have anything to put them in to let them 'set up' and actually be square...just a disposable foil pan for $5ec but it was small) so I would make a pan, then stick it in the freezer so it'd harden quicker, cut them and wrap them in plastic wrap and then start over....  I think I ended up with about 30 big squares... they sold for $3EC each, a little bit more than $1US.
We made over $760EC!!! which is about $285US!!
Our rent is $100EC a month so that covers it for the rest of the term and leaves money for supplies!
So many people donated baked goods... and delicious baked goods!
Apple cake, chocolate peppermint cake, pumpkin bread, banana bread with chocolate chips, brownies with pb swirl, chocolate macaroons, chocolate cookies, chocolate chip cookies, mini pies...
My mountain if rice crispies

I made something else, but then decided not to take it to the bake sale... saltine cracker candy... you can make it a lot of different ways.  My mom makes a toffee chocolate version. 
You break saltines into about 4-6 pieces or so each and lay them in a pan or on wax paper.
Melt butter and brown sugar on bring to a boil to get thick and then pour over the crackers and then pour melted chocolate on top and let harden. 
This is one of Lee's favorites!  My mom made it for him at Christmas and I had forgotten how good it was until I was thinking about no bake desserts!

I made mine with peanut butter and white chocolate chips because I had them left over from the pancake experiment! 
The same as before I broke saltine crackers (you can probably use other crackers... but saltines are nice and salty and don't over power the other flavors) and spread them in a pan.
then melted a little bit of butter and peanut butter in the microwave.  I added a little powdered sugar to the melted pb so it would cool a little thicker and hold nicely on the crackers.  That is how I make fudge, butter, pb, and powdered sugar, but I didn't use as much as I would for fudge... just a bit to kinda thicken it.
I poured that over the crackers... they weren't completely drenched in peanut butter but had a good coating, I didn't want too much to go through the cracks because you want the bottom of the dessert to be cracker so you can hold it in your hand.
Then I poured melted white chocolate chips on top of that.
Melting the white chocolate chips was way more difficult than I thought it would be..... I wasted quite a bit trying to get it to thin and get runny.... it just got hard and clumpy!
So after some google-ing, I turned my microwave's power setting to 60% and added a small big of vegetable oil.  I was melting about a half cup of chocolate and used about teaspoon of oil. and it worked much much better.  White chocolate is hard to melt because it actually isn't chocolate at all... and what I was using (Nestle) wasn't even made with cocoa butter like most white chocolate is... it was just some sugar and palm oil concotion... so the slightest amount of moisture will 'sieze' the chocolate and make it clump. you need to use a very dry bowl and spoon too.
or just use regular chocolate, white is difficult!  or I read that the bars of baking chocolate work much better than chips because chips are made to keep their shape even while baked at 400degrees.... and bar chocolate is meant to be melted... makes sense huh?

I put the dessert in the refrigerator to get hard for a while and then cut it into squares, even though it doesn't cute into perfect squares and crumbles a little, it is delicious!!


1 comment:

  1. I'm glad the bake sale went well. Those cracker treats look yummy, I am going to try it sometime.

    ReplyDelete