We don't buy many "snacks" here in Grenada. Mostly because it is too expensive, so I am excited to try baking more.
I decided to bake cinnamon rolls because that is one of Lee and I's favorite things. When we first got married and were living in West Virginia we would go to Kroger grocery shopping together (the good old days) and we would always end up buying a can of cinnamon rolls and making them when we got home and eating the entire pack in one sitting! haha, unhealthy, but so fun and delicious.
I found a recipe online that didn't require too much work or sitting around waiting for the dough to raise.
filling
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk ( I substituted - 1 cup milk & 1tsp white vinegar)
- 6 tablespoonsbutter, melted
I mixed all the ingredients together for the dough and mixed the filling ingredients together until it looked like sand.
I rolled out the dough into a rectangle, brushed on melted butter, and spread the filling on top
I then cut it into strips and rolled it up into 'rolls'. This was really difficult for me ( my first time home making cinnamon rolls) maybe my dough was too 'wet' because they kept falling apart and coming open, so they didn't turn out that beautiful.... hence why some turned into more of a crescent roll. and then by reading more recipes I found that it probably would have been easier to roll the entire piece of dough up into a 'log' and then cut it. I'll know next time. and pur the rest of the melted butter on top! (LOTS of butter in this one, lol)
Make sure you spray or butter the pan really, really well!! I found that a lot of the filling melted and ran out the bottom and caused them to stick. Or perhaps I should have baked them less. ?
I baked them for 20 minutes on 425degrees.
I made a very small amount of icing to pour on top, because they already had so much sugar in them!!
Icing
- 2 tbs of cream cheese
- 1 tbs milk
- enough powdered sugar to make it thick
So I definitely learned a lot for what to do next time, and they turned out delicious regardless!
Okay, so I'm sitting here on a Tuesday noche with my two friends Beth and Alex... I check out my Blogger Dashboard and I see this latest entry! Ohhhhmiiiiigoooooooodness! We are having like food-gasms looking at this Cinnamon Roll recipe!!! We are like seriously dying over here and we realize... we can totally make this recipe! Thank you so much for your entry we are going to try this as soon as we get our allowance for this next month. Everyday we end up talking about some type of food that we miss in the EEUU (that's U.S. in Espanol) like Taco Bell Carmel Apple Empanadas or how about the Wildfire Chicken Salad at Bob Evan's... OHMIGOSH! I want to die right now! I just want a mouth-full of America right now! Some greasy pitball of a Wendy's Burger or something... something that will send grease dripping down my chin for Pete's Sake. I just want something really really bad for me like a Triple BACONATOR and a Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough BLIZZARD from DAIRY QUEEN! Ohman... well I suppose this shows you my agony, but thank you for this recipe to potentially ease my suffering! :) Continue POSTING!
ReplyDeleteThese look amazing!
ReplyDelete